Note #4

A GOOD NAME

Names are often the primary indicators of our identity. It is what we are associated with. The personality we construct and the qualities we possess are all attached to our name. Therefore a name carries immense meaning, not just literally but allegorically as well.
My first name, Monica, is of North African origin. Its roots can be traced back to Carthage and Greece. It is believed to be derived from either the Greek "monos" meaning one or the Latin word "monero", meaning to advise. Monica was also the mother of Saint Augustine so the name also has a connection with Christianity. Saint Monica's feast day is the 27th of August and Monica is also the patron saint of married women. The association with the Latin "monere" came about in the medieval period as Saint Monica was credited with advising and guiding her son to take up Christianity. The name was first adopted by English speakers in the 19th century but it is found in a variety of different countries with distinct languages, most notably Spain, Italy, Portugal, Brazil, France, the Balkans, Czech Republic, Poland (Slavic countries) etc. It can occasionally be found in India as well. Since my name is quite international in usage, people from different cultures do not usually have a problem pronouncing it. My last name though, is a different story.
Panigrahy, also spelled as Panigrahi, is a surname native to the eastern state of Orissa in India. It is the most definitive indicator of the culture I identify with. "Pani" is a Sanskrit word meaning hand and "Grahi" means to accept so it translates to 'the hand which accepts' or 'the acceptor'. My last name has always been a source of pride for me as it reminds me of my family and culture. It always invokes a feeling of belongingness and esteem.
All in all, I really like my name and I'm thankful to my parents for not naming me Angel or the like. 

Comments

  1. Thats amazing how far back the name monica traces back. Also do you have a middle name, if so what is the meaning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats amazing how far back the name monica traces back. Also do you have a middle name, if so what is the meaning?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts