Note #28

The beginning of Grade 12

After a moderately productive summer, I don't feel prepared for the next academic year, my final year in school. Perhaps the realisation hasn't sunk in yet, as I still feel it is akin to every previous year, but this year certainly won't be the same. It will be the most rigorous school year of my life, and the ultimate. It feels strange to think that I won't be going to school anymore after this year, but it does not make me melancholic. The freedom and independence of adult life beckon to me with their charming seductiveness. However, it would be foolish to assume that life after school will be any easier. If anything, it is more likely to get difficult. Getting out of our cocoons and the safe enclosure of our parents to face the world all by ourselves seems like a daunting prospect. Yet it is alluring and I hope, along with my peers, I can build the right kind of mentality to face it.
This summer had its highs and lows - a few highlights and more dull moments. I had the opportunity to visit Athens for the global round of the World Scholar's Cup. It was a very enriching experience. I got to meet people from all over the world and experience the rigour of a world-scale competition. I'm glad we qualified for the final round and I hope we'll be able to replicate and even advance the success we've previously attained. I also completed an internship. It was pretty fun to put on a suit everyday and go to work. I had the chance to experience a taste of adult life, without any of its hassles. The learning experience itself was obviously quite different to that of school, perhaps even better. Or maybe I'm just bored of going to school for 13 years. And there's still one more. 
Beyond that, my summer was pretty uneventful and loaded with copious amounts of work that haunted me throughout the day and robbed me of my sleep at night. The anxiety is real, folks. Oh yeah, I also finished watching the Star Wars series this summer. Now I'm trying to find a lightsaber. Please tell me if you know where I can find one. (Edit: I found one. It's lit.)
I hope I can make the most of this last year of school and be satisfied with myself at the end. Good luck to everyone! 

Comments

Popular Posts